CHILDREN’S MINISTRY: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT - VOLUNTEERS
This support position works in conjunction with all areas of Children’s Ministry and is responsible for onboarding, communicating with, and supporting the Children’s Ministry (ages three – sixth grade) volunteers. This includes weekly Sunday School and special programs associated with the Children’s Ministry Department. The Volunteer’s Assistant works collaboratively with the Children’s ministry staff to cultivate an environment where people are inspired to serve in ways that match their spiritual gifts and passions. The Volunteer’s Assistant will partner with Directors and Associate Directors to assure that potential volunteers are aware of policies relating to their station, have a current background check, and feel appreciated throughout he year. This will support our goal that all programs are of the highest quality possible and consistent with the mission and vision of The Woodlands United Methodist Church and that volunteers, families and children are served with respect and dignity. The Volunteer’s Assistant also supports the Special Blessings Ministry in this capacity.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- A strong and growing personal commitment to Jesus Christ and the church.
- Spiritual maturity, creativity, high energy and a strong passion to lead children and families to a deeper understanding of the Gospel message of Christ’s love!
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Sets Personal Deadlines
- Ability to interact well with others. Very personable, professional, and upbeat.
- Must be a team player with the ability to work within the department toward a common vision.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Proven excellence in verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to make sound judgments and effectively solve problems.
- Previous experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Partner with dirs. and grow into a leadership role regarding Church-Wide, Annual Volunteer Campaign.
- Open Communication with Directors and Associate Directors for onboarding assignments.
- Within one week of receiving contact information. Provide Safe Sanctuary training and run background checks for potential volunteers with the goal of a smooth transitional “hand off” to preferred areas of service for the Children’s Ministry Department for all Children’s Ministry.
- Monitor online volunteer applications, pass off to leadership, and then follow up with leadership to see if Safe Sanctuary and background check is needed.
- Assist with Safe Sanctuary and background checks for Special Blessings Ministry.
- Assist in “Week of” on-boarding process for first-time volunteers to ensure they feel welcomed and equipped to serve in their roles. (As Needed)
- Be an active partner in creating recruiting strategies to encourage volunteer visibility and the awareness of volunteer needs in the Children’s and Special Blessings Ministry throughout the year. Including annual all church spring/fall media campaigns.
- Be an active leader in the development and implementation of the volunteer recognition and appreciation programs including volunteer meals two times a year. (August and January)
- Oversee information and recruiting tables on designated Sundays.
COMMUNICATION AND ADMINISTRATION
- Provide weekly communication to volunteers with information about the upcoming Sunday including schedules, lessons and important information as needed.
- Provide Weekly Emails to Greeter Team regarding assignments.
- Monitor Rock for incoming volunteer applications in Children’s and Special Blessings Ministries.
- Process applications and background checks.
- Once background check has been filed follow up with e-mail to ensure connection is happening.
- Prepares nametags and new volunteer packets for new volunteers.
- Maintain required records on all volunteers associated with the church’s Safe Sanctuary and Ethics Policies, which includes annual background checks on all Children’s Ministry volunteers.
- All Volunteers should receive a notice no less than two months before their Safe Sanctuary training expires.
- Update Rock database profiles to include updates on Safe Sanctuary training and background checks.
- Prepare nametags and sign in rosters weekly.
- Create a monthly volunteer newsletter with tips, success stories, and include a volunteer spotlight.
- Head up all VBS Registrations for volunteers and children.
- Process Sunday Morning Guest Forms between Database Admin, Children’s Admin, and Assoc. Dirs.
- Maintain various Mailchimp email lists.
- Other Communications as needed
- Monthly reminders to our Volunteers/Greeters how much we love them!
- Birthday Cards to our Volunteers/Greeters
- Keep inventory of T-shirts and other Volunteer onboarding items and work with team on ordering more.
Communication, Collaboration, Organization, Teamwork, Time Management, Administration, Attention to detail, Computer proficiency.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities.
CHILDREN'S MINISTRY: INTERN
This is a part-time position with no benefits created for high school students age 16 or older.
Shift schedules include Sundays and/or Saturday nights and Children’s Ministry-sponsored events serving children ages 3-12 years of age.
- Greet families and students as they arrive on Sundays and events.
- As an intern your primary focus is to help ensure that every child is greeted, encouraged, interacted with and engaged in program activity.
- Help set up and lead Sunday School, events, crafts, activities and clean up.
- Support Ministry Directors and Ministry Leaders.
- Arrive and Sign in on time for scheduled shifts.
- Behavior in the community and your online presence must be compatible with values and beliefs of our church. Your online social networks should be accessible to CM Staff.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
Strong interpersonal skills, enjoy children, role model for young children and a growing Christian that feels comfortable sharing their faith with others. Creative artistic talents in music, drama and art a plus.
Contact Ingrid Gibbons at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
CHILDREN'S MINISTRY: SUMMER INTERN
The Children’s Ministry college internship offers students (currently enrolled in college and completed Freshman year) an experience to work hands on in a ministry setting focused on bringing the message of God’s love to children and families. This is a great opportunity for students who are curious about a career in ministry, though this is not a specific requirement of the internship.
Summer internships are temporary positions that begin on or around June 1 and end on or around August 12. Sundays are required. Typical work schedule will be 9am-5pm Monday through Thursday, and 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. on Sundays. Some weeks may require more hours and some may require less, depending on the activities planned each week.
IDEAL CANDIDATES ARE:
Actively pursuing a relationship with Jesus Christ
Energetic, hard-working and creative people willing to do a wide range of tasks
Passionate about working with children ages 3 to 12 years of age in many different settings
Strong ability to build relationships with children and volunteers
- Participate in the planning and delivery of weekly Sunday School for Pre-School, Elementary and Intermediate Ministries
- Teach large group lessons
- Lead small groups of children
- Assist with logistics including children’s check-in, volunteer placement, classroom prep and clean up.
- Participate in the planning and delivery of large and small scale summer events
- Assist with preparations for VBS, Camp, 56 Day Camp and other summer events
- Participate in the program planning process for large group and worship experiences
- Attend most summer events with a focus on building relationships with children
- Assist with all on-site event logistics including set up and clean up
- Other duties as assigned by Children’s Ministry staff
The Children’s Ministry Department at The Woodlands UMC offers a variety of ministry opportunities throughout the summer. Interns are required to work in all areas, including but not limited to:
- Sunday morning Sunday School
- Vacation Bible School/ Day Camp/ Camp 247
- Summer fun events
- Summer mission opportunities
Because of our desire to live according to Scripture and the high visibility our children’s ministry team has in the community, summer interns commit to exhibit a Christ-like character in their attitudes, actions and lifestyle. The attached ministry covenant should be read, agreed to and signed along with an application and consent for background check.